Sunday, June 28, 2009

guadi, gaudi, gaudi ... and a minor mishap

6/24: this morning i went with some of the girls to Parc Guell, a park containing many stone structures, fascinating buildings, and other statues by antonio gaudi. it was a decent hike up to the park, but when you arrived you entered into a beautiful, colorful, magical world! i will post pictures shortly (if i can figure out how to do that), but it was truly amazing how every single thing - from the seats to the pillars to the houses to the bridges, were intricate pieces of art. one could spend an entire day just exploring this whimsical universe! also, for anybody who watches americas next top model, one of the runway shows apparently took place here - and i admit that when somebody pointed it out to me it did look familiar (must have been one of those damn marathons that can consume you on a rainy sunday - my mom knows what im talking about)
Afterwards we took a crowded train back to the gothic center, where we stopped for some sangria. this is when i noticed that my wallet was gone...bum bum bum.... it was my own fault - i had taken it out to buy a train ticket and had put it back in my purse right on top of everything else, and then boarded a very crowded train.
bad luck, first my eurail gets sent to the states, now my wallet is gone. :(
luckily, i had taken some precaution. i had kept my credit card and my passport locked up in the room, just for this reason. still, i had no cash, and no access to cash because my debit card was gone.
i went immediately back to the hostel and called my bank. they cancelled my card and fast-tracked one to my parents house - they said they were not able to send a new card internationally. on top of that, they were not able to issue me a pin number for my credit card for 7 days...what a dilemma.
no reason to freak out, there were ways to get by. caitlin could bring me my debit card when i meet her in madrid on the 30th. and if i REALLY needed to, i could get a cash advance from a local bank, but that would include a fee and high interest. i also remembered that i had about 45 dollars with me. if i exchanged that, i could probably get about 30 euro? still, not enough. so, i asked my new friends for a favor. since we were going out to eat anyway, could i please put everything on my credit card and have them give me cash? of course, they would! great! as long as i can charge everything and keep my small amount for when i really need it, i should be able to make it! right? and there is also the exchange option, and the cash advance option if i REALLY need to. okay, problem solved, but it would be a tricky 6 days...i would have to spend as little money as possible.
luckily i had not lost anything else in my wallet, about 20 euro, my debit card, and my license. it could be way worse! no reason to let it stop me or get distressed. shit happens. i will be more careful from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment